Legislative suggestions Ohio Medical Marihuana
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 3/17/2016
Ohio Patient Network (OPN) makes the following suggestions for potential legislation for the task force & Ohio legislators to consider. Ohio legislators have a rich source of material to draw from in the LSC historical database. OPN suggest HB214 from Ohio’s 129th legislative session as an acceptable starting point.
· Patient self sufficiency
◦ Patients are enabled to grow for self-use, with restrictions from being engaged in commerce
▪ Enable caregiver assistance with reasonable state authorizations
◦ Legal protections for patients, caregiver, suppliers and medical professionals
· Regulated commercial medical supply
◦ Includes quality, safety, testing & compliance mechanisms
◦ Taxes to provide funding for
▪ Commission members and activity
▪ Legal oversight of commerce activity
▪ Supporting Medical Research
· State Commission with regulatory oversight
◦ Suggest appointments made by legal, medical & law enforcement & patient advocates’ organizations.
▪ (Patient, Nurse, Medical, Pharmacy, Law Enforcement, Civil Rights, etc, etc)
◦ Have Legislators & Governor appointed commission members
◦ Have no restrictions on commission memberships
▪ (i.e. political office holder, past felon, etc)
· Establish political Blue Ribbon panel on future of cannabis laws
◦ Reports, studies and recommendation to legislators.
Ohio Patient Network contact is Rob Ryan, a three time cancer survivor.